Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Call the Midwife: The book is just as good as the series!


The miniseries' of Call the Midwife (both seasons) are great and the book Call the Midwife, A Memoir of Birth, Joy and Hard Times is just as brilliant. If you loved the BBC miniseries which just finished airing on PBS in North America, getting the book is a no brainer. And this is one you may want to pass on to a friend, so I was glad my family bought me the paperback for Mother's Day as I have already passed it on to my sister.


You will recognize all of the main characters. Trixie is given short shrift in this book but the story of Chummy conquering the bicycle with the help of her little friend is there and the story of Jenny's affair with a married man and her friendship with Jimmy is there. Miranda Hart makes the role of Chummy even better than it's written! Cynthia apparently had a really sexy, low voice in real life, so perhaps that casting didn't quite come through but I love Bryony Hannah in the role as she is just so adorable!


The casting of all of the nuns as well as Jenny Lee is perfection. As you read the book, it just fleshes out the already beloved characters from the series. Sister Evangelina, Sister Monica Joan and Sister Julienne are well represented in this book. Perhaps we will read more of cutie Sister Bernadette in some of the other books by Jennifer Worth which I have yet to read. Apparently there are four of them. Yay!!!


So if you are looking for some reading material while you wait for the third season (and we are talking next spring for that here in the colonies) you can't go wrong. And you will love the story of the Spanish mother with 28 children (OK, I can't remember the real number and my sis now has the book).

Cheers and happy reading!

14 comments:

  1. Hey, I got this book for Mother's Day too, and just started it on Memorial Day. I'm almost half done already, and loving it. I applaud the TV producers for sticking so closely to the memoir in stories and spirit.

    I know I'll be reading all four books.


    Now I really can't wait until Season 3 comes out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane. That's funny that we both got the Midwife book for Mother's Day. Our families know us well. I think my eReader may want to download all of the other ones too. Although if I buy the books, then I can pass them on...:)

      Delete
  2. I'm already several chapters in on the copy that you passed on to me this past weekend, Jenny! (Thanks, Sis!)

    I now love Chummy even more, now that I've been able to read the details of how hard she had to work to learn how to ride a bicycle! Go, Chummy ...

    Love,
    Big Sister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Big Sis. I am replying to comments today. How is the book coming? I am still looking for those DVDs for you. When I find them I will package them up with the Caitlin Moran books and send them on to you.

      xoxo

      Delete
    2. I finished the "Call the Midwife" book on the weekend (only took me a week to whip through it - possibly a new record!) - it's absolutely riveting. Especially the background stuff on the workhouses of the East End of London ... unbearably sad.
      Can't wait for the next shipment of books/DVDs.
      Can't wait for the next season of "Call the Midwife"!

      Delete
  3. I haven't watched the series or read the books (yet), but since I'm curious about both, I really appreciate hearing your thoughts on them!

    My object in coming here was other, though, I must confess... What say you to this casting?:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/death-comes-to-pemberley.html

    You had Anna Maxwell Martin as Actor of the Week quite recently as I recall, so I'm guessing that more of her coming your way in costume drama is something that you won't disapprove of.;)

    LRK, or Lark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lark! Anna Maxwell Martin as Elizabeth???!!! Actually it's genius, but I never would have thought of it. And good for her to have Matthew Rhys and Matthew Goode as her men folk. What eye candy. They'll look great in cravats! Now I have to read the book again. I didn't really take to it the first time I read it but now I have a visual for the main characters.

      Thanks for the heads up. You are always in the loop about the latest and greatest!

      Delete
  4. Oh my, I just watched the first season on Netflix, the only one they have. It is thrilling to know that not only is there a second season, but a book too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mom Wald. Lots to keep you busy while they are filming the third Midwife series for us to see next winter!

      Delete
  5. Just ordered the series (DVD)from Netflix will watch that & then get the book! I had watched it on TV a couple times and liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy. Enjoy the series, whether it's one episode at a time or all at once. It's hard to stop at just one!

      Delete
  6. I just finished the second season, and hoo boy, that last episode had me in a puddle of tears of the joyful variety! I'm so thrilled that there will be a third season - these women have become my friends. I'll be getting the book on your recommendation, and thank you, Jenny, so much for recommending the series to begin with - you're my go-to for all British period dramas! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth. We were all with you in those puddles of tears! Glad you liked it and thanks for the lovely comment. My wonderful online community keeps me blogging!

      Delete
  7. love both the books(all 3) and the series (all 3 so far). I am eagerly waiting to watch series 4 and the christmas special that I can't watch yet as I live in Australia...

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails