Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Apparently there are two kinds of people in this world. Ones who "get" Monty Python and the Holy Grail and then there are the rest of you! Although this may be a stretch to call this a period film, it is again one of those lovely light films which you could watch once a year and never tire of. I bought the special Collector's Edition Boxed Set a few years ago for my teen boys and they watched it endlessly one year with their friends. Another generation of Python lovers! It came with a small paperback copy of the original script, which I admit to having put in the bathroom drawer (right beside the toilet) for some light reading!

Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Knights on imaginary horses with coconuts for clopping sounds (go Patsy!) and killer rabbits... jeering french knights...and the Knights Who say Ni!   Yes, it's all very, very, very silly. And yet watching it again will bring out the teenager in you. I mean, how can you not sing along to the Knights of the Round Table song!

The Knights of the Round Table Song from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Knights of Camelot: [singing] We're knights of the Round Table, we dance whene'er we're able. We do routines and chorus scenes with footwork impec-cable, We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and Spam a lot. / We're knights of the Round Table, our shows are for-mi-dable. But many times we're given rhymes that are quite un-sing-able, We're opera mad in Camelot, we sing from the diaphragm a lot. / In war we're tough and able, Quite in-de-fa-ti-gable. Between our quests we sequin vests and impersonate Clark Gable / It's a busy life in Camelot
[solo]
Knights of Camelot: I have to push the pram a lot.

***********************************************************************************

Come on now, that made you smile didn't it? Admit it!

King Arthur fighting the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Black Knight: It's just a flesh wound.

The Taunting French Soldier from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

French Soldier: I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

The Witch Burning Peasants from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Sir Bedevere: What makes you think she's a witch?
Peasant 3: Well, she turned me into a newt!
Sir Bedevere: A newt?
Peasant 3: [meekly after a long pause] ... I got better.
Crowd: [shouts] Burn her anyway!

Well, that's enough silliness for now, but if you want to know what I pulled out and watched again this week, you now have the answer. Ni! Ni! Ni!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Jenny:

    Thank you for reminding me how wonderful "Holy Grail" is - I'm so old that I remember seeing it in the theatres when it first came out! So many funny bits ... I was thrilled when the kids were old enough to understand (and understand the humour of) Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

    But how could you leave out my favourite part:
    "What's your favourite colour?"
    "Green - no, blue!"
    "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" (and goes over the cliff)

    Anyway, time to watch it again this weekend (maybe a double bill with "Life of Brian" - that's a big favourite at our house ... much giggling at the brief, full-frontal nudity! Gotta love the Python boys!)

    Cheers,
    Big Sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a crush on John Cleese, Michael Palin and Eric Idle - either in turns or all at once!

    I was hooked from the first scene where we see that the sound of the horses' hooves are in fact coconuts. And I loved how the characters maintained their absurdity so seriously throughout!

    I think my favourite scene is at the Swamp Castle. Make sure the Prince doesn't leave this room...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous big sister, well you are older than me if you saw this one in the theatre (lol). I also didn't have room to do the "Bring out your dead-I'm not dead!" scene. Too many to list them all.

    @Charleybrown, I think I still have crushes on some of the Pythons! The Swamp Castle was really great too-"All this will be yours someday!"

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails