Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Saturday, November 28, 2015

The Grand Sophy film- A Georgette Heyer adaptation at last?


According to the BAFTA website, the writing/producing duo of Olivia Hetreed and Andy Paterson are planning a film adaptation of Georgette Heyer's The Grand Sophy for 2016. Apparently they are developing it in collaboration with BBC Films.

http://www.bafta.org/whats-on/bafta-rocliffe-new-writing-forum-with-olivia-hetreed-and-andy-paterson


Now, developing a film and actually getting it to the screen are two different things, but this is certainly promising. If anyone reading this is in London next Wednesday, tickets to the writing forum with Hetreed and Paterson are free and they might answer questions related to this project. Or they might not, but I sure wish I was in London this week and not here in Canada!


The most successful film so far by this husband and wife team would have to be Girl with a Pearl Earring with Scarlett Johansson and Colin Firth. So let's hope they have the clout to get this film made. The fact that they are in collaboration with BBC Films is a very good sign that the quality of the production would be top notch.

If you haven't yet signed the petition for a Georgette Heyer film, the link is here below. We have over 1400 signatures from all over the world, so I think we have proven an audience for a Heyer film. Join us!

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/georgetteheyerfilm

Fingers crossed! Cheers!

12 comments:

  1. I AM in London next Wednesday but unfortunately I have arrangements to meet other people which I just cannot get out of. What a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a pity. Maybe another Georgette Heyer fan will be able to go and ask about the Grand Sophy film. If you know anyone in London who would be willing to take up the mantle...

      Delete
  2. Hi Jenny. You just made my day. I read The Grand Sophy last summer and absolutely loved it. I am now a confirmed Heyer fan! As I read the book, I kept thinking what an amazing movie this would make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, I tried to get a ticket but it seems to be a membership only session where they are critiquing young writers' screenplays, rather than talking about their own work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophie! I just checked and you are right the free tickets are members only but they have general audience tickets for £7.50 online (wouldn't show up on my smartphone as an option however). They do say they would answer general audience questions at the end but you would have to sit through the whole session I would imagine. I'd go if I were in London but alas am stuck across the pond! :(

      Delete
  4. Anymore news on this? Love to hear of further progress? Anyone attend the session they held?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Financing is being pulled together now. Film will shoot in either May or September 2016 with Colin Firth and Helena Bonham Carter in supporting roles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could this be possible? Must investigate!

      Delete
    2. Very excited to read that this is going forward. Hopefully, the adaptation will be faithful to the spirit and tone of the book. GH is my favorite author and I have read and re-read all these books.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I will check into this and let you know Olga. Either very exciting or a cruel anonymous tease! :)

      Delete
  7. I thought it might sound too good to be true, but...I can totally picture Colin as Lord Charlebury and Helena as The Marquesa!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails