Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Downton Abbey Season 5 Finale (The UK Christmas Special)


SPOILER ALERT! This post is intended for those who have already viewed Downton Abbey Season 5 Finale- The UK Christmas Special

Well Carson finally did it! It took an admission of poverty from Mrs. Hughes to spur him on, but he finally did it!


Mr. Carson: "I do want to be stuck with you...I'm not marrying anyone else"
Mrs. Hughes: "Of course I'll marry you, you old Booby! I thought you'd never ask!"

Ah, heartwarming stuff from Uncle Julian for Christmas Day in the UK. He learnt his lesson after killing off Matthew a few years ago. Last year we had Carson and Mrs. Hughes wading at the seaside, and this year we were crying over Tom's touching remembrance of Sybil in the nursery. Good tears however! And Carson's proposal!


Isobel and Violet had me laughing out loud a few times tonight although they both had some very touching scenes together and with their respective amours.

Isobel: "Proposals. Propositions. Not what one expects at our age."


I love the addition of Matthew Goode as Mary's new love interest. Please let this be the beginning of lots of Matthew next season. Mary looked pretty darned aroused as he jumped into his sports car and zoomed away. Well done!


The second best looking character in this episode was Brancaster Castle (Alnwick Castle the home of the Duke of Northumberland and his kickass Duchess). We have seen this lovely property standing in for Hogwarts in Harry Potter but it is breathtaking!


Alun Armstrong rather stole the show a few times with his evil butler Stowell, whose permanent expression of distaste is hilarious! A rather fun matching of evil wits between Barrow and Stowell. And the interesting but unlikely personality transplant of Lord Sinderby after Rose's heroics were entertaining. Again, Rose and Atticus are just soooo adorable. I'm going to miss them when they go to America.


Molesley and Baxter were also vying for adorable couple of the night when they spent their days off together pubbing in York...OK, trying to verify Mr. Bates's alibi. And I refuse to say anything more about the ridiculous Bates storyline in protest. End it now Julian Fellowes!



And I will end with Matthew Goode in his fast car. Phwoar!

Mary: "Heavens, what a snappy chariot. Mr. Rogers clearly has hidden depths."
Henry Talbot: "It's mine. But thanks for the compliment!"



Other Best Lines of the Week:

Violet: Lord Sinderby, Branson and Barrow. Not what I call a recipe for a peaceful weeks shooting.
Isobel: Makes you wonder what they'll be shooting at by the end of it!
Violet: Bwahhaha!

Violet: I am sad to say I shall never again receive an immoral proposition from a man. Was I so wrong to savour it?

Mary: Suffice it to say the butler is back in his box.

Branson: You see where I come from there are quite a few Marigolds.

Isobel: And You've never strayed again.
Violet: I've never risked everything again.
Isobel: That's not quite what I asked.
Violet: It's all the answer you'll get.

Sybbie: Donk!

2 comments:

  1. So sorry season 5 is over--it was a good one, the Bates storyline notwithstanding. I don't believe Tom will really go to Boston, unless the actor wants out, which I don't think is the case.


    I was thinking Edith might have a new beau in the works.

    Will season 6 open with Mrs. Hughes adjusting to life as Mrs. Carson, I wonder? And we have a new footman--hope that Tom finally has a friend again.

    Matthew Goode is wonderful--my favorite character in The Good Wife, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails