Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Death Comes to Pemberley: PBS Sunday Oct 26 & Nov 2

Matthew Rhys and Anna Maxwell Martin in Death Comes to Pemberley

I haven't seen a new Jane Austen adaptation in a while and boy did I enjoy Death Comes to Pemberley! I admit I was a bit nervous when I watched this, as I didn't really like the book, a murder mystery sequel to Pride and Prejudice by mystery writer P.D. James. The book was OK, but a bit of a yawn. Fan fiction by a 94 year old Jane Austen fan, albeit well written I suppose.

James Fleet and Rebecca Front as Mr. and Mrs. Bennett

However, add a few of my favorite actors (inspired casting to have Anna Maxwell Martin as our beloved Lizzy!) and set it at one of the all time top English Country Houses, Chatsworth, and I was hooked within the first few scenes. This is 3 hours of pure pleasure and I can't wait to see it again on my HD TV this time when Part 1 airs tomorrow. Having almost the entire three hours set in and around Chatsworth makes one realize how little we saw of it when it was used as Pemberley in the 2005 adaptation of Pride and Prejudice.

Matthew Goode as the wicked Mr. Wickham

Many familiar faces and fabulous actors flesh out the other roles (other than Lizzy and the filming location, which might have been enough for me). Matthew Goode as Wickham played the role with some depth, as did Jenna Coleman as Lydia. What a great take on the relationship which none of us had much hope for, including Jane Austen! And the chemistry between Anna Maxwell Martin and Matthew Rhys as Mr. and Mrs. Darcy caused me to rewind a few sections just to see the love and playfulness a bit more. Mmmmm.

Mr. and Mrs. Darcy- great chemistry not apparent in this photo!

Then add in James Fleet (Four Weddings and a Funeral, Sense and Sensibility) as Mr. Bennett, Eleanor Tomlinson and James Norton as Georgiana Darcy and her love interest and the awesome Joanna Scanlon (Mrs. Dickens from The Invisible Woman) as Mrs. Reynolds and you have a winner.

Too bad they made my beloved Colonel Fitswilliam into a creep (plot related I understand but still!) and Penelope Keith as Lady Catherine de Bourgh sounded a bit more like Lady Bracknell from The Importance of Being Earnest but that is nit picking I suppose.

So just pour a cuppa and turn on the telly tomorrow and enjoy the ride. It might be a while before we get another one this good!

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, so glad you're enjoying this, it is being shown on NZ television at the moment part 1 last night, part 2 tonight. I am recording it and saving it up as a treat for a wet weekend. I see Rebecca Front is in it - I like her a lot..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith! You will enjoy this, especially curled up on a wet weekend. Rebecca Front does a great Mrs. Bennett (a small part) and she gets to bounce off of the wonderful James Fleet as Mr. Bennett. Cheers!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so excited when I heard they'd be airing this. I was in the middle of watching it on my tablet on YouTube last year when they took the videos offline, so I never got to see how it ends. Nice to be able to see it on a bigger screen now, too. Really enjoying it so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia! Just settling down to watch part 2! I am taking over the TV from NFL football. :)

      Delete
  4. Your article is really great. I like the way you wrote this information

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for such a great post and the review, I am totally impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You understand your projects stand out of the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is something unique about them. It seems to me all of them are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails