Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Downton Abbey Season 4 Episode 4


SPOILER ALERT! This post is intended for those who have already seen Season 4 Episode 4

Well, it looks like Bates's eavesdropping and manipulation of poor Mrs. Hughes finally removed all doubt about what happened to Anna. And although he was sweet and supportive to her, he is getting kind of scary, so perhaps Anna is right after all in worrying that he may do something violent to the perpetrator.

Wouldn't it be awesome if she went all Gosford Park and killed the rapist/valet before Bates does? It's not illegal to stab a corpse you know. I'm just saying...


Oh dear. Edith is visiting the doctor. I hope it is for a sore throat although I think it may be for birth control reasons. I just hope it isn't too late for birth control. And no sign of her Michael Palin/Gregson chappie for a while. Dooooom!!!! I am sensing a Nazi plot, are you?

But on a lighter note, Lady Edith is at least looking lovely in her 1920s fashions. I love the collar on that coat she is wearing in the photo above.


And so Alfred was turned down after going to London to try for the job cooking at The Ritz! Maybe it's for the best. I think they would have had to build him a taller counter to work at or he would have back issues before he turns 30!

But seriously, nice to see that he has ambition. And congrats on those bouchees de fromage. Ohh, la la!


I am happy to see the new ladies' maid Baxter with her outrageous orange juice and her electric sewing machine. Radical I say! I hope Thomas or Barrow or whatever we are supposed to call him doesn't torture her too much. She seems really nice. I wonder will Mrs. Patmore survive with an electric refrigerator in the kitchen? Horrors!

And is the Dowager Countess experiencing a bit of dementia, losing her letter opener from the King of Sweden? Or was a thief just what Julian Fellowes thought the plot was needin? Hidee-hidee-hidee-ho! Apologies to Cab Calloway and Minnie the Moocher, but I couldn't resist.

Best lines of the week:

Violet: "I wonder your halo doesn't grow heavy. It must be like wearing a tiara round the clock."

Lady Mary: "Do you think she is having a good childhood?" (with regards to baby Sybbie)

Alfred: "Is there anything I ought to know about London?"

Thomas: "Mrs. Bates is incorruptible. So we have nothing in common."

Violet: "Yes, but your gratitude never seems to last. I've no sooner said yes then you come back with another request!"

Violet: "The one thing we don't want is a poet in the family....The only poet/peer I am familiar with is Lord Byron and I presume we all know how that ended!"

See you again next week!

5 comments:

  1. When Anna turned to Bates with the trembling bottom lip...I lost it (Joanne Froggatt is amazing)...and yes he is scary...but he is keeping it from Anna and just being the loving supportive husband she needs.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I thought the Lord Byron remark was the jewel of the episode! Made me laugh out loud.

    Good episode, and I agree, Bates is getting scary! Once again, Mrs. Hughes stole the show, but Mrs. Padmore gave her a good run.

    Now that Alfred has displayed ambition, I predict Ivy will discover that she does prefer him to James after all, and Daisy's poor heart will be collateral damage.

    I enjoy reading your morning-after synopsis, thoughts, and quotes. Keep 'em coming.

    BTW, was it your blog on which I learned about Land Girls? If so, thanks! I have been watching season 1 and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your updates and Best Lines. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails