Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Jeeves and Wooster 1990-1993


If you need cheering up for any reason, Jeeves and Wooster is just what the doctor ordered. I was introduced to P.G. Wodehouse's wonderfully funny books by my sister, who gave me one or two during my first year of university. She thought that I needed an antidote for my science and calculus courses. And of course, she was right (she loves it when I say that!).

Jeeves, the all knowing valet for Bertie Wooster

My favourite kind of period piece is one which has good literature behind it and this DVD collection is no exception. Filmed for ITV in the early 1990s, the brilliant comic duo of Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie do ultimate justice to the beloved P.G.Wodehouse books.

Already a well established comedy act, these two had their own show, A Bit of Fry and Laurie and so already had the shorthand that a great comic duo requires. Bertie Wooster is a well heeled bachelor who seems to be enjoying his freedom from all responsibility- full stop. His valet Jeeves makes sure he keeps enjoying that freedom, all the while keeping everything just the way Jeeves likes it too!

Jeeves: Travel is highly educational, Sir.
Bertie: I cannot do with any more education, Jeeves. I was full up years ago!

Bertie Wooster plays piano for Jeeves

Hugh Laurie uses the most of his musical talents as well playing 1930s beauties on the piano such as Cab Calloway's "Minnie the Moocher". He gets long suffering Jeeves to help him out with the chorus, and the result is one of my fave scenes in the series.

Bertie: [singing Minnie the Moocher] Hi dee hi dee hi dee hi
Jeeves: [speaking] Hi dee hi dee hi dee hi,  sir!

**********************************************************************************

Bertie: [pausing while playing "Minnie the Moocher" on the piano] Now that is clever, Jeeves.
Jeeves: Sir?
Bertie: That part about "the king of Sweden" and "things she was needin'."
Jeeves: Yes, His Majesty King Gustav appears to have been exceptionally generous to the young lady, sir.
Bertie: No, I mean, it rhymes, Jeeves.
Jeeves: Almost, sir.

Aunt Agatha

Aunt Agatha is one of the dreaded aunts who are always trying to get Bertie respectably married off. And of course that is exactly what both Bertie and Jeeves are trying to avoid. Mayhem ensues as always!

Bertie: But I don't want to be molded! I'm not a jelly.
Aunt Agatha: That is a matter of opinion. 

Aunt Dahlia with the French chef Anatole- Yummmmmmm

Aunt Dahlia was played by four different actresses in each of the four series, but no matter what she looks like, she is always trying to get Bertie to do something he would rather not do.

Bertie: [at the telegraph office] To Aunt Dahlia: I say, look here. This is absolutely impossible. Not to say out of the question. Spode has already threatened yours truly. Sorry and all that. About the cow creamer I mean. Anyway, there it is. Toodle-pip. Your affectionate nephew, Bertie.

Telegraph operator: Is it a code sir?

Gussie Fink-Nottle

Telegram to Bertie-"Come immediately. Serious rift Madeline and Self. Unless you come earliest possible moment prepared lend every effort reconciliation, wedding will be broken off. Reply, Gussie"

**********************************************************************************

Reply from Bertie-"Fink-Nottle, Totleigh Towers, Totleigh-in-the-Wold, Gloucestershire. Yes, that's all very well. You say 'come here immediately,' but how dickens can I? Relations between Pop Bassett and self not such as to make him welcome Bertram. Would hurl out on ear and set dogs on. What serious rift? Why serious rift? Why dickens? What have you been doing to the girl? Reply, Bertie."

Silver cow creamer

My eldest son loves to watch Jeeves and Wooster with me when he is home and even brought me back a cow creamer from a school trip years ago. Not a silver one, but it has pride of place in my china cabinet and I treasure it.

I think I know what we will do the next time he is home from University. Aunt Dahlia here we come!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sad to say I've never seen this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzan you have a little gem to discover here. Next time you need a lift, Jeeves and Wooster is what you need.

      Delete
  2. I want all of the furniture and light fixtures from Jeeves and Wooster. Have no idea where I'll put it all. I just want it.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails