Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Friday, June 29, 2012

Kristin Scott Thomas- Actor of the Week

Kristin Scott Thomas- English or French?

I think Kristin Scott Thomas is a wonderful actress and I find the fact that she has lived in France since she was 19 fascinating. Employed as an au pair when she was a teen and fluent in French, she never left. She married a French obstetrician (now divorced) and raised three children there. She stars in both English and French language films and appears to be aging gracefully. What's not to love?

Kristin with Hugh Grant in Four Weddings and a Funeral

Of course her all time great role in my estimation is that of Fiona in Four Weddings and a Funeral. Who else could have given that role it's depth, both in comedy and tragedy? A legendary performance! Poor Fifi.

Fiona: There's a sort of greatness to your lateness.
Charles: Thanks, it's not achieved without real suffering.

Kristin with Ralph Fiennes in The English Patient


After all of these years, I am still not sure whether I liked The English Patient or not. I think I did...perhaps I should watch it again and decide.

Almásy: What do you love?
Katharine Clifton: What do I love?
Almásy: Say everything.
Katharine Clifton: Hm, let's see... Water. Fish in it. And hedgehogs; I love hedgehogs.
Almásy: And what else?
Katharine Clifton: Marmite - I'm addicted. And baths. But not with other people. Islands. Your handwriting. I could go on all day.
Almásy: Go on all day.
Katharine Clifton: My husband.
Almásy: What do you hate most?
Katharine Clifton: A lie. What do you hate most?
Almásy: Ownership. Being owned. When you leave, you should forget me.

Kristin as Lady Elizabeth Boleyn in The Other Boleyn Girl

I have to confess that I have not seen Kristin Scott Thomas in as Anne Boleyn's mother in The Other Boleyn Girl. Please someone tell me if this is something I should seek out. I love how Kristin looks in Elizabethan costume!

Actually, besides KST, Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson, it also stars Benedict Cumberbatch, David Morrisey and Eddie Redmayne so I think I have just answered my own question. I'll watch it soon.


Lady Elizabeth: Now go to France. The queen of France is sophisticated. Be useful to her, amuse her. She'll admire your spirit. Learn from her. Observe the ladies of the court. See how they achieve what they want from their men, not by stamping their little feet but by allowing the men to believe that they, indeed, are in charge. That is the art of being a woman.

Kristin as Press Secretary to the Prime Minister Patricia Maxwell in Salmon Fishing in the Yemen


I really adored Kristin's character in Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. As the Prime Minister's Press Secretary, she is efficiency itself and she plays the part to hilarious comedic perfection. I need to see this film again but it isn't on DVD until July 17th!


Patricia Maxwell: We need a good news story from the Middle East. A big one!

Kristin Scott Thomas as Lady Sylvia in Gosford Park

I think her performance in Gosford Park was truly inspired. She had the snobby, horsey aristocrat down to a tee. Imagine winning your husband in a game of cards! Ugh!

Constance, Countess of Trentham: He's still got that vile little dog, I see.
Lady Sylvia McCordle: Yes, the ones we hate last forever.

***********************************************************************************

And then there is Keeping Mum, Confessions of a Shopaholic, Easy Virtue...I could go on all day. Any films I missed or would you like to agree or disagree with any of my choices?

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. ditto Jenny. always plays her characters well. sensitive but penetrating eyes.
    the other Boleyn Girl's 'end' did not give me my usual s'high but it was captivating and passionate (between lovers, ambitions, loyalties). it was hard to blame anyone for making bad decisions even though you wanted to hate them (except for one who was just plain selfish)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try something different: "Ive loved you so long" - Superb.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails