Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Hysteria is Hysterical!



Yes, Hysteria really is about the invention of the vibrator in Victorian England. And in my opinion it is adorable. Not everyone's cup of tea I realize. If the subject matter makes you a little uncomfortable, then give this one a pass. I can certainly see that certain conservatives would not be amused by this premise.

If however you do find it amusing that someone made a romantic comedy about...well...you know what... then you will have a lovely light evening and leave the theatre laughing heartily.

A very proper dinner scene in Hysteria

The cast is wonderful. Hugh Dancy (Daniel Deronda, Grigg from The Jane Austen Book Club) plays the adorably earnest but slightly clueless Dr. Mortimer Granville, the doctor credited with the first patented electric vibrator. Jonathan Pryce (Mr. Buxton in Cranford) portrays Mortimer's employer Dr. Dalrymple, overworked from "treating" hysterical upper class English ladies. The Dalrymple daughters are Maggie Gyllenhall (Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang) and Felicity Jones (Northanger Abbey), both brilliant in their depiction of two totally different types of Victorian ladies. Also outstanding are Rupert Everett, Gemma Jones, Anna Chancellor, and quite a few other actors whom I have seen in other films but who are lesser known.

The director and the writers were American (hard to believe, I know!) but the cast is almost entirely British. Maggie Gyllenhaal's accent is awesome and sounds suspiciously like her friend Emma Thompson's accent!

Ready, set...

Molly: What do you call that little thing?
Mortimer Granville: I was calling it the feather duster.
Molly: Well I'd think of something quick, so that a girl knows what to ask for.


So I leave it up to you about whether you will enjoy this film. I loved it as did my husband. OK, he wasn't happy about me leaving him in line for the film to go to the washroom. Poor guy, all alone...in line for the vibrator movie. :)

But he said he liked it more than he liked The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. And he liked that one a lot!

Cheers!!

11 comments:

  1. Oh, is that what it is about? I'd see it just for Hugh Dancy being in it, but I find the top of the vibrator being introduced to some prim and proper Victorians potentially hysterical. I hope it hits dvd quickly, since it's not playing in my area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah. Sounds like you will love it. It is in very limited release right now and if it doesn't catch on it should hit the dvd market soon. It has been out in Europe for ages!

      Delete
  2. I don't think it's playing near me (no surprise), but I do want to see it. I thought Hugh Dancy was adorable in The Jane Austen Book Club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find this topic very amusing! I was laughing out loud reading this. I get a kick out of how long it would take some doctors to "cure" a woman of her hysteria. Really? I'd hate to be married to that guy ;)
    Doubt it is playing near me either. Will have to wait for it to come to Amazon or Netflix!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I was in disbelief when I found out about Hysteria a couple of months ago! I thought, really they needed a doctor to do that and they thought it was appropriate. That it could take hours was even more amazing! Ha! I'll have to watch this DVD! too funny! Hugh Darcy is a plus!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's a brilliant idea to make a romcom of "you know what", even more so with such a setting and cast. i'll be watching this on dvd so that i may prolong my 'guffaws'.
    btw, you have a valuable husband and i'm glad that he found it worth the while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've just seen the trailer with the well deserving actor of the week - quite a tickler.
    what a name, for what i think the Dr is referring to as hysteria - "in its most severe forms it deserves drastic
    measures"..."i'm pleading for help". looks like such an educational?,informative? well... really funny movie.
    but what if it were women Docs who were treating men's hysteria?.....hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Went to see this on the weekend - hilarious! I kept thinking that it should win a special award next awards season for re-introducing the word "paroxysm" back into general usage in the English language! I don't think I've ever heard that word used so many times in one film ... maybe we can make it into a drinking game when the DVD comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hysterical indeed! Saw this movie last night. I thought my husband was going to have a "paroxyxsim" laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Hysteria fans. Glad you liked it! Paroxysm is the new word of the week! Not sure I'll be able to use the phrase "paroxysms of laughter" anymore however...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found out this is playing at the Oriental Theatre, which is within Walking Distance of my home! So. Excited! I had no idea what it was about 'til I saw Ms. Gyllenhall on none other than "The Daily Show" promoting it. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails