Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Domenic Cooper- Actor of the Week

Domenic Cooper

Domenic Cooper is a hot commodity right now and seems to pop up everywhere these days. I think a lot of people would recognize him as the love interest of Amanda Seyfried in Mama Mia.

Domenic Cooper and Amanda Seyfried in Mama Mia

Good choice for the smouldering, mostly shirtless fiancee in Mama Mia. He has that slightly exotic bad boy look to him and of course that gorgeous accent, having been brought up on the outskirts of London in Greenwich.

Domenic Cooper as Charles Grey in The Duchess

I think his best role so far is as Charles Grey in The Duchess opposite Kiera Knightley. He was very intense and sexy in this part and the chemistry between his Charles Grey and Kiera's Georgiana was electric. I'll admit it, I cried during this film. Quite shamelessly I might add.

Domenic Cooper and Charity Wakefield in Sense and Sensibility

OK, I know I am going to get some flak on this but I just couldn't quite get into Domenic as Willoughby in the 2008 miniseries Sense and Sensibility. I adore Andrew Davies and I do think this entire production is really good. I guess Emma Thompson has just ruined me for other versions. To be fair, I should watch this one again as it is quite lovely. I just didn't love Domenic as much as Charity Wakefield's Marianne did. Mind you Willoughby is one of my least favourite Jane Austen male characters so maybe it has more to do with that.

Domenic Cooper in Tamara Drewe

If you haven't seen Tamara Drewe, it is quite a great flick. A little bit dark for a comedy but highly entertaining in an oh so British kind of way. Lovely little village for the location too, which never hurts. And Domenic is hilarious as a dopey rock star bad boy. I mean look at that face. It just mirrors the dog's face!

Rosamund Pike and Domenic Cooper in An Education

As affluent wheeler dealer Danny in An Education, Domenic plays a very different kind of bad boy. This film was riveting on many levels. I could certainly watch it again as all of the performances were remarkable and I loved the script by Nick Hornby about a girl trying to choose the course of her life.

Domenic Cooper in My Week With Marilyn

I haven't seen My Week With Marilyn yet so I can't comment on Domenic's role as Marilyn Monroe's photographer and business partner Milton H. Greene. Actually, I almost watched this last night but instead watched The Muppets, which made me very happy. Can anyone else tell me how they liked My Week With Marilyn?

So watch out for lots more Domenic Cooper in the future. He has 8 upcoming films listed on IMDb, including Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. So look out!

10 comments:

  1. Oooo! I love Dominic! First saw him in Mamma Mia, I swoon when he sings "Lay All Your Love on Me." Also loved him as Howard Stark in Captain America! How weird it was to see him and Richard Armitage in an American superhero movie together! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meredith. It was Richard Armitage, Domenic Cooper, Hayley Atwell and JJ Feild as well. Rare that I have enjoyed a superhero film so much although RA as a baddie is just wrong! ;)

      Delete
  2. I think i've only seen 3 of those movies. Sense and Sensibility was first for me and I wasn't sure I like him in it as Willoughby and for exactly the same reasons you mentioned. I don't like Willoughby but that production as a whole with the opening having someone undressing a young woman set the tone to make it a little more dark or bad boyish or whatever. I never could really like him as Willoughby or see what Marianne saw. I did love him in The Duchess. Even tho' the whole movie made me want to burst out of the theatre and say what in the world do we women put up with. I loved the costuming etc. And I know it's just how the world was - ugh. I only caught part of Mama Mia. My daughter ruined it for me. I can see where his acting career is going to skyrocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzan. You may have to revisit Mama Mia. He is adorable in it and hearing Colin Firth sing is a bit of a giggle! As are the Abba costumes at the end on all the middle aged characters!!!

      Delete
  3. I've only seen him in "S&S" and I'm kind of with you on that. He does look good in that pic you've chosen of "Mamma Mia" but when I first saw him in "S&S" all I could think was 'That's not Willoughby. Willoughby's supposed to be good-looking' (Superficial? Who, me?) But yes, Willoughby's supposed to be good-looking off the bat, isn't he? That's one of his main qualities and one of the reasons why everyone falls for his act. But his PORTRAYAL of Willoughby was great so the man can act.
    Really enjoy your Actor of the Week posts btw :) Brings my attention to a ton of period movies I can eventually get my hands on *_*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Disdain. I love researching my Actors of the Week as I always learn something and my "to be watched" list grows weekly! You have to see Domenic in The Duchess to understand his sex appeal. Phwoar!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I think it's time for a Mama Mia rewatch! I loved Dominic in An Education (such a great movie!) and he was a yummy bowl of pudding in The Duchess. Now I've just got to check out Tamara Drewe. I read the graphic novel when it came out and I quite liked it. As usual, I love your posts and the actors and films you focus on - my Netflix queue will never be lacking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth. If you read Tamara Drewe, I think you will love the film. Thanks for the compliment. I will keep the posts coming!

      Delete
  5. Also saw him in the National Theatre live production of Phadrea last year, opposite Helen Mirren. The whole cast was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Olga! I didn't realize that he had one of his stage performances filmed. Sounds awesome!

      Delete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails