Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Kate Winslet- Actor of the Week

Kate Winslet
Kate Winslet has done so many period pieces she has been nicknamed Corset Kate! And thank goodness she has. Here are a few of the wonderful films she has done in the period genre (and perhaps one modern era film).

Kate Winslet, Sense and Sensibility 1995
Was there ever an actress who inhabited a role like Kate did with Marianne Dashwood?

Marianne: Can he love her? Can the soul be really be satisfied with such polite affections? To love is to burn - to be on fire, like Juliet or Guinevere or Eloise...

Kate Winslet as Ophelia in Hamlet 1996
As the tragic, vulnerable, mad Ophelia in Kenneth Branaugh's Hamlet. Remarkable!

Kate Winslet as Rose in Titanic 1997
As the young Rose Dewitt Bukater in Titanic, she had her true breakout role, for which she will be forever known. I love that outfit by the way!

Rose: You know, my dream has always been to run away and become an artist, Living in a garret poor but free!
Jack: You wouldn't last 2 days. There's no hot water and hardly any caviar.

Kate Winslet as Maddy LeClerc in Quills 2000
I really hated Quills, for the subject matter not for the acting. I don't think I will ever watch this again. But there she is, gorgeously corseted as usual.

Kate Winslet as Young Iris Murdoch in Iris 2001
As the young novelist Iris Murdoch, played opposite Hugh Bonneville as her husband John Bayley, she had a really meaty role and was a little less glamorous than some of her other roles.

Kate Winslet as Sylvia Llewelyn Davies in Finding Neverland 2004
Finding Neverland is a gem of a film. We tend to forget just how wonderful, so if you haven't seen this one in a while, you may want to revisit it. Just bring a big box of Kleenex!

Michael Llewelyn Davies: [about J.M. Barrie] Can we have him for supper?
Sylvia Llewelyn Davies: Have him to stay for supper, Michael. We're not cannibals.

Kate Winslet as Iris Simkins in The Holiday 2006
Alright, I know The Holiday isn't a period piece, but this is my blog and this is one of my favourite films, so there! I just love it, especially this time of year.

Iris: [to Jasper] I don't know, but I think what I've got is something slightly resembling... GUMPTION!

   
Kate Winslet as Hanna Schmitz in The Reader 2008
Kate won a Best Actress Oscar for her role as the intense Hanna Schmitz in The Reader.  Again, the film is fantastic, but I am not in a great hurry to see it again. I just like my films a little happier, I suppose.

Kate Winslet as April Wheeler in Revolutionary Road 2008
I never saw Revolutionary Road. The trailers didn't look appealing, much as I adore Kate and Leo. Anyone want to give me their take on whether or not it's worth seeing?
N.B. Jule left a comment below saying that Revolutionary Road is fabulous, so now I can't wait to see Kate and Leo in this one. Thanks Jule!

Kate Winslet as Mildred Pierce 2011
Showing again how talented she is, Kate totally rocked as Mildred Pierce. A little more severe looking here, she demonstrates her amazing versatility.

Kate Winslet as a young girl
And I couldn't resist this adorable shot of Kate as a youngster. Who knew then how much the world would come to adore this ballsy actress. I for one, can't wait to see what she does in the future.

15 comments:

  1. One of my most favorite Kate Winslet roles is in Peter Jackson's Beautiful Creatures. Dark and disturbing and surreal!

    I love your blog - you put so much heart into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking of this movie! NOT one of my favorites but definitely a MEMORABLE Winslet role.

      Delete
  2. @Beth- Thanks for the lovely compliment! I may have to have someone hold my hand to sit through Heavenly Creatures. Our sweet Kate Winslet a murderer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Revolutionary Road is one of the best films of all time! It's my favourite Kate & Leo film as well, as much as I love Titanic, but these two are just drop-dead-fantastic in Revolutionary Road! It's an absolute MUST SEE for any Kate fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jule- Wonderful! Can't wait to see it now. All I needed was a recommendation from a kindred spirit. I'll modify my post above to add your thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for being off-topic - LOVE Finding Neverland! - but I've just seen this, and... I'm so euphoric I just want to spread the word to anyone who I think might be remotely interested - and as you're a Richard Armitage fan... :) The trailer for The Hobbit:

    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32729

    Breakdown of the trailer:

    http://www.empireonline.com/features/the-hobbit-teaser-trailer-breakdown

    Again, sorry for being off-topic.:)

    LRK

    ReplyDelete
  6. @LRK- Thanks for the heads up about the trailer for The Hobbit and our fave dwarf Thorin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Kate in Titanic, Iris, Finding Neverland and Sense and Sensibility.

    Kate from Leeds xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas to all of you even though on last day of Christmas this year.

    Here is what I did this Christmas, I watched "Revolutionary Road" so your "Actor of the Week" is a great coincidence.
    Kate Winslet is such a great actor who has hardly ever chosen wrong. I love her Ophelia, I think that was when I started admiring her acting skills. Was she not on top from the beginning with "Heavenly Creatures" already? It's weird to see so much talent and this woman gets more beautiful as time goes by. I just love her innocent voice from those nineties.
    Even though she is a Hollywood star, when she talks of her ‘fame”, she makes it seem tangible, e.g. the weirdness in encountering one of her not so-nice-schoolmates working in a retail store with the success of “Titanic” on her bag. Or receiving the call telling her that she got the job for “Heavenly Creatures” while working at the sausage deli in a retail shop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Rena- I have to say that Kate Winslet does seem like someone it would be amazing to hang out with. Emma Thompson is another one of those actresses who seem down to earth and, for lack of a better term...cool! I watch them both with admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jenny,
    To answer you question in the post. Revolutionary Road was OK, but nothing else. You can see Sam Mendes' handwriting all along which isn't bad, but it is too much pretence in ordinary middle class America. And they all look like Mad Men actors - and this from someone who has only watched 20 minutes of Mad Men altogether.
    One can watch it, but you wouldn't miss too much not watching it. Does this help?
    Rena

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have not seen all her movies but enough (i think)to recognize that she does good work. and i'm glad to hear of her likable 'real self'. many times when i'm not sure as to what movie to watch the cast of the movie has alot of influence.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here are some Beautiful Kate Winslet Wallpaper Hope u enjoy it. I'll updating my blog an gives you latest Celebrities Pictures and Wallpapers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails