In order to honour our esteemed author, I would like to give her The Gift of Film to demonstrate how her beloved books have been dramatized over the past 20 years or so. She liked going to the theatre and had put on amateur productions with her siblings as a child, so I will show her what the world has done with her novels 200 years later.
|Pride and Prejudice 1995|
|Mansfield Park 1999|
I would show her Mansfield Park 1999 but with qualifications and apologies. I would try to explain that the filmmakers thought that if they injected a little of Miss Austen herself into Fanny Price, that the character would appeal more to a modern audience. I would also explain that her true fans are still waiting for a really faithful and satisfactory film or miniseries to be made of Mansfield Park. I would not show her the bottle blonde abomination of Mansfield Park from 2007. I know some people liked it but not me.
|Northanger Abbey 2007|
|Sense and Sensibility 1995|
None of us know what Jane Austen would think of what modern society has done with her "darling children". But I hope that she could appreciate the way her novels so easily adapt to the screen, and the fact that we love to see them acted out as much as we enjoying reading them after all these years.
Happy Birthday Miss Austen! We only wish you were around longer so that we might have more of your "darling children" to enjoy.
Please post a comment below about your favourite Jane Austen film adaptation to be entered into my giveaway draw for a DVD copy of Northanger Abbey 2007. I am opening the giveaway worldwide (draw closes December 23) and I will announce the winner here. The winner can choose a region 1 or region 2 DVD. Don't forget to add your email address!
Please also visit the rest of the participants in the Jane Austen Birthday Soiree. The list is so extensive, it may take you a week to enter all of the giveaway draws. But please do. There are so many wonderful websites on this list and lots of great gifts!
- Sharon Lathan Sharon Lathan
- Emily Snyder O! Beauty Unattempted
- Laurel Ann Nattress Austenprose
- C. Allyn Pierson SemiTrue Stories
- Cindy Jones First Draft
- Marilyn Brant Brant Flakes
- Prue Batten Mesmered’s Blog
- Erin Blakemore The Heroine’s Bookshelf
- Velvet vvb32 reads
- Karen Doornebos The Fiction vs. Reality Smackdown
- Regina Jeffers ReginaJeffers's Blog
- Alyssa Goodnight Alyssa Goodnight
- Laura Hile, Susan Kaye, Pamela Aidan, and Barbara Cornthwaite Jane Started It!
- Juliet Archer Choc Lit Authors’ Corner
- Jane Greensmith Reading, Writing, Working , Playing
- Sitio Jane Austen El Salón de Té de Jane
- Kaitlin Saunders Kaitlin Saunders
- Becky Rhodehouse One Literature Nut
- Patrice Sarath Patrice Sarath
- Adriana Zardini Jane Austen Brasil
- Jane Odiwe Jane Austen Sequels
- Courtney Webb Stiletto Storytime
- Jennifer Becton Jennifer W. Becton
- Vera Nazarian Urban Girl Takes Vermont
- Abigail Reynolds Pemberley Variations
- Katherine Cox November’s Autumn
- Maria Grazia My Jane Austen Book Club