Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Rufus Sewell- Actor of the Week

Rufus Sewell
Rufus Sewell is my actor of the week. He is a hot commodity this week after appearing in Zen on PBS Masterpiece Mystery Sunday. By the way, the next two Sunday nights feature the other 2 episodes (this delightful series about an Italian detective was canceled after only 3 episodes). Americans can catch up on the one from this past Sunday night on the PBS website. The rest of us are out of luck!

Rufus Sewell as Count Adhemar in A Knight's Tale
Adhemar: You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?


Rufus Sewell as lowlife Jasper Bloom in The Holiday
Jasper: I wish you could just accept knowing how confused I am about all this.
Iris: Okay, let me translate that. So, you are still engaged to be married?
Jasper: Yes, but, I mean...
Iris: Oh, my God.

***********************************************************************************
I always think of Rufus as a bad guy. I mean, he was truly horrible to our beloved Will Thatcher (Heath Ledger) in A Knight's Tale, one of my all time faves. He was also completely rotten to dear Kate Winslet in The Holiday. Can we ever forgive him for that? But he is a wonderful actor and has been in many beloved Period dramas.

Rufus Sewell as Will Ladislaw in Middlemarch. Be still my beating heart!
His first big Period role was as the talented, handsome but poor Will Ladislaw in Middlemarch. Check out those boots ladies!

Rufus Sewell as the hilariously smouldering Seth Starkadder in Cold Comfort Farm
OK, gaze into those eyes of Seth Starkadder in Cold Comfort Farm. And yet Kate Beckinsale seems unimpressed. Harumph!

Rufus Sewell as Charles II in "Charles II: The Power & the Passion"
OK, how many of you knew he played the titular role in Charles II: The Power & the Passion? Nobody? Well me neither although I do like the way he looks in the wig and the crown! I may have to track this one down.

If that has whetted your appetite, here are a few more Rufus Sewell films that you may want to check out!

Dangerous BeautyZen: Vendetta Cabal RatkingTristan and Isolde (Widescreen Edition)CarringtonCold Comfort FarmThe Holiday [Blu-ray]Amazing GraceThe George Eliot Collection (Middlemarch / Daniel Deronda / Silas Marner / Adam Bede / The Mill on the Floss)Helen of TroyLegend of Zorro & Mask of Zorro [Blu-ray]The Illusionist (Widescreen Edition)Charles II: The Power & the Passion [Region 2]The Tourist [Blu-ray]A Knight's Tale (Special Edition)The Pillars of the Earth [Blu-ray]

18 comments:

  1. Count me in as a fan! Haven't seen all of his dramas and although he often plays a scoundrel, he's always a delight to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a big Rufus Sewell fan and that he played Will Ladislaw perfectly. I've been meaning to watch Carrington for awhile...now I have even more incentive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you both like him too. He certainly is fun to watch and I had no idea he had made so many great films. I haven't watched Middlemarch in a while so I think that deserves a revisit soon and Carrington sounds great because it also has Emma Thompson in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite movie with RS is The tamming of the shrew :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Dita
    I just looked that one up. RS as Petruchio and Shirley Henderson as Kate. Wow, that would be good. I wonder where I could find it? And did he really wear a skirt in that one???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes he did. I loved this retelling of Taming of the Shrew. This is an old post, but if you haven't found it yet, its in the Shakespeare Retold collection. Its a great collection

      Delete
  6. My friend just received the DVD of Shakespeare Re-Told! Think I found it here Jenny! http://youtu.be/IJ1U5XTR148

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's in The Woodlanders as well - talking of period pieces - I haven't seen it, but have read the Thomas Hardy novel; and all I can say is that his playing Giles, is going to make me even more annoyed with the heroine...

    LRK

    ReplyDelete
  8. @LRK- I had to look up The Woodlanders. It looks amazing! Thanks for the tip. I agree, how could she pass up Rufus/Giles for some doctor dude!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the site.
    Adore Rufus Sewell. Would have been a fantastic Darcy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love him. his voice, his stature, his eerily intense and sometime frightening gaze. should play "normal" people as well - though he was great in taming of the shrew in Shakespeare-retold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rena, Rufus Sewell is one of a kind. I agree he is gorgeous but slightly unsettling too. Seen him in Middlemarch?

      Delete
  11. jenny-i agree that rufus is one of a kind! he is unique.he is far superior in appearance and talent to the majority of todays actors.and certainly the most handsome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous. Another Rufus fan! If you want to see his latest work, he is priceless as the vicar in Parade's End. See my post on the miniseries for the link to watch it on YouTube. Worth watching for Rufus alone, though his part is tiny.

      Delete
  12. RUFF! RUFF! for us is this Rufus - he's just one of those guys that you like to watch regardless of what he's in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mommbsta! Rufus Sewell makes the baddies sooooo good. Who could blame Kate Winslet for not telling him where to get off the train in The Holiday. He is so bad but so sexy!

      Delete
  13. It's been a long time since I swooned over a movie star or RV star, but Rufus Sewell is worth swooning over. Takes my breath away. That face. Oh, my!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That should've been TV star, of course.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails