Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Wishbone: Furst Impressions-Darcy as a canine-too funny!

For anyone not familiar with the children's show Wishbone, it aired from 1995 to 1998 on PBS in America and starred a little Jack Russell terrier.  As IMDb puts it, "An intelligent and witty dog imagines himself in the role of characters from classic books and gets involved in similar real-life adventures."

Well, if you haven't guessed, this one stars Wishbone as Mr. Darcy, which set me to laughing sooooooo hard when I saw him in the little cravat and suit, actually English Country Dancing, and yes, bowing on cue!  Oh my gosh, you have to see it to believe it.  And the love scene at the end, digging flowers with Lizzy in the garden with all four paws.  Bwahahahahahaha!
The actual language of Jane Austen is, of course, badly hacked up, but the idea of this show was to make classic literature more appealing to kids and preteens and I have to admit, it is not too bad if you take it as a low budget effort to do just that.
There is also a version of Northanger Abbey called Pup Fiction where he looks equally dashing as Henry Tilney who wears a napkin tucked into his "collar" and laps his water at the Pump Room from a crystal glass.  Adorable.  I'm a sucker for a dog in a costume.  I hope he got lots of teats.
Anyway, enjoy these if you need a laugh today.  There are a few other Wishbone episodes on YouTube such as Cyranose, Pantin' at the Opera, Be a Wolf, Frankenbone and Hallowe'en Hound: The Legend of Creepy Collars.  Oh, so punny!!!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jenny:

    I remember Wishbone! (Although now that the kids are getting older, I'm not watching so much TVO Kids / PBS Kids television - so I'd temporarily shelved my memories of this clever pup.) How wonderful of you to re-activate that part of my brain!
    It was a very imaginative series, and found a way to weave classic literature into the story lines ... I'd all but forgotten the "Pride and Prejudice" episode. Now I can remind my kids that I wasn't the only one talking about Jane Austen during their formative years - a costumed dog was also conspiring to hook them on classic lit.
    Big Sister

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails