Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)

Pemberley (Lyme Park, Cheshire)
Oh, to be in England...

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Back to school...fun quotations from my favorite authors

"Give a girl an education and introduce her properly into the world, and ten to one but she has the means of settling well, without further expense to anybody. "
Jane Austen-Mansfield Park


Still true today and goes for both boys and girls I think.  I am so glad to know that Jane Austen thought an education important even back then and it is even more so now.  So this one is for all of you who have just sent your kids or grand-kids off to school.  Whether it be elementary school, high school or especially college or university, my thoughts are with you.

We just moved our eldest son into his residence room at University for his first year away and our youngest just went out the door for the first day of grade 11 so here I am blogging away.  As Tuesday is my day off, I always have time after everyone returns to school after Labour Day to relax and reflect on another year.  A bit more adjustment required of me this year, but they are both happy, and so am I.  Or I will be very soon.

"Men have had every advantage of us in telling their own story. Education has been theirs in so much higher a degree; the pen has been in their hands. I will not allow books to prove anything. "
Jane Austen-Persuasion

"A wise parent humours the desire for independent action, so as to become the friend and advisor when his absolute rule shall cease. "
Elizabeth Gaskell-North and South


Very wise words, and so I will not call my eldest for a few days at least.  But I may send an email, just to say I hope he is having fun and "making good choices".  That one is a family joke and if you have ever seen the genius of Jamie Lee Curtis in Freaky Friday, you will get this.


So perhaps if we have a rainy night this week, I will watch Freaky Friday again and remember the first time I watched it with my sister, on a really hot day in Toronto, when we were both taking a little break from motherhood to celebrate sisterhood.  Cheers!

Note: (added Sept 12)-Watched Freaky Friday on Thurs night as it was raining and cool.  Jamie Lee Curtis is fantastic and it was very sad in a way to see how talented Lindsay Lohan was.  Not sure if she still is.  I just know that she didn't "make good choices" after this was filmed.  Still a great film however and the music rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails